Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Sambar Deer

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Asia

Pages: 1
iqbal
resigned as a member

Reged: 05/02/03
Loc: Karachi,Pakistan
Sambar Deer
      #5023 - 19/11/03 01:44 AM

The Sambar Deer is the most widely spread deer species in the world, covering many countries in the Asian continent. It is also one of the larger members of the deer family. Some males are known to weigh up to 300 kgs and can grow to a height ranging from 135 - 150 cms at the shoulders. Their population is large and spread to almost every corner of India. They do not appear on the endangered list. The specimens found in central India appear to be larger than those found in other regions. The male members of this species have antlers that can grow to a length of 90 - 95cms, with a record finding of one that measured 127cms! These animals have a life expectancy ranging between 16 - 20 years. They are the favourite prey species of the tiger. A large sambar can feed a feed tiger for up to 4 days. Unlike the Spotted deer, which shouts an alarm and darts away at the sight of a predator, the sambar tends to alertly watch and keep giving alarm calls until the danger has passed. A reason due to which many of them fall prey for predators.
Sambars are one of the larger members of the deer family and have antlers that can grow to lengths upto 1 meter!

Their own diet consists of vegetation, mainly leaves. They have become less shy of humans due to the protection offered to them at various parks. Yet, they have a history of mainly being nocturnal animals. At Corbett N.P., a sambar deer named Sona by the locals, has adopted the attendants there as the caretakers of itself and its family.

Sambar Deer have extremely acute senses of smell and hearing

Their breeding period is mainly during the months of November and December. The gestation period is 6 months. The males by this time have shed their antlers. A new pair start growing almost immediately. It is during this period of their life cycles when they are seen less frequently. The males mostly lead solitary lives and are rarely seen associating with each other, except on some occassions during the rutting season. The sambar has extremely sharp senses of hearing and smell.

Its alarm call is taken very seriously, unlike that of the spotted or barking deer, by anyone interested in knowing the whereabouts of a predator. A repeated call is accepted as a definite indicator.

Although the Sambar deer is found in almost every corner of India, some of the best parks to sight this animal in are Kanha, Corbett, Ranthambore, Bandhavgarh, Gir, Dudhwa, Manas, Kaziranga and Sariska.
Some useful info. on a beautiful animal.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
gryphon
.450 member

Reged: 01/01/03
Loc: Sambar ground/Victoria/Austral...
Re: Sambar Deer [Re: iqbal]
      #5029 - 19/11/03 07:18 AM

And here is a pic of an ordinary one that has been in the wallow

--------------------
Get off the chair away from the desk and get out in the bush and enjoy life.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #5033 - 19/11/03 10:25 AM

Iqbal

Are there any countries where they can be hunted? Especially considering they are reported to not be endangered. I believe you mentioned Sambar once before on a hunting trip in Pakistan (??)

Gryphon

Fancy adding a "sub-continent" sambar trophy to your collection ?

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

mickey
.416 member

Reged: 05/01/03
Loc: Pend Oreille Valley, Idaho
      #5048 - 20/11/03 03:21 PM

Igbal

Are you related to Mohammed Igbal from Kenya in the 60's?

--------------------
Lovu Zdar
Mick

A Man of Pleasure, Enterprise, Wit and Spirit Rare Books, Big Game Hunting, English Rifles, Fishing, Explosives, Chauvinism, Insensitivity, Public Drunkenness and Sloth, Champion of Lost and Unpopular Causes.

iqbal
resigned as a member

Re: Sambar Deer [Re: mickey]
      #5057 - 21/11/03 01:36 AM

Mickey,both Mohammad and Iqbal are fairly common names.No i'm not related to the gentleman you mentioned,who is he by the way.

iqbal
resigned as a member

Re: Sambar Deer [Re: NitroX]
      #5058 - 21/11/03 01:41 AM

Nitrox,the sambar is found in plenty in India but unfortunately it cannot be hunted ,not legally i.e.It was also found in Pakistan a long time ago but not anymore.I have seen a sambar in the wild on one of my trips to India but was afraid to take it as the authorities there are very strict and i could have ended up in jail.I'm not aware as to where else it can be found or hunted.

mickey
.416 member

Reged: 05/01/03
Loc: Pend Oreille Valley, Idaho
      #5062 - 21/11/03 02:28 AM

He was a very famous, at the time, PH in Kenya. 50's and 60's. Known for his great table and friendship. Shot lots of Big Elephants. He died in the mid-sixties of a Heart Attack. Some say from 'living too well'.

I have a couple of friends who were very young apprentices then and they thought that he was the greatest guy they ever met and are full of stories about him. Unfortunately not many people have heard of him now because he never wrote a book telling everyone how great he was.

--------------------
Lovu Zdar
Mick

A Man of Pleasure, Enterprise, Wit and Spirit Rare Books, Big Game Hunting, English Rifles, Fishing, Explosives, Chauvinism, Insensitivity, Public Drunkenness and Sloth, Champion of Lost and Unpopular Causes.

gryphon
.450 member

Reged: 01/01/03
Loc: Sambar ground/Victoria/Austral...
Re: Sambar Deer [Re: mickey]
      #5065 - 21/11/03 05:23 AM

Nitro i have often thought of be able to have the chance of a stag in India in fact any of the other countries as well would be a great hunt

--------------------
Get off the chair away from the desk and get out in the bush and enjoy life.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 15 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 11313

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com