Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: salman khan sentenced to five years

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Asia

Pages: 1
macleod470
.224 member

Reged: 23/02/06
Loc: Virginia
salman khan sentenced to five years
      #54614 - 12/04/06 05:18 AM

I saw in the paper that one of bollywoods stars(what is bollywood?) salman khan was sentenced to five years in prison for shooting a protected antelope. They said it was one of the harshest sentences handed down in such a case. I wonder what type of antelope this was? Is it common for these kind of cases occuring in india. I wonder how many old maharajas and stuff are still hunting illegally. This case by the way took place in Jaipur India.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
iqbal
resigned as a member

Reged: 05/02/03
Loc: Karachi,Pakistan
Re: salman khan sentenced to five years [Re: macleod470]
      #54655 - 12/04/06 11:41 PM

Bollywood is the name for the film industry in India(like hollywood).The animal shot was a blackbuck in the Rajhastan province some time back.The Nawab of Pataudi,one of the maharajas was also fined and sentenced for a couple of days for shooting a deer.Mind you Pataudi is the ex captain of the Indian cricket team and an important personality.In the case of Salman Khan the sentence was very harsh for a very popular film star.Probably politics got involved and may be the fact that he is a muslim.Any way he is going to appeal and may be he gets a lesser sentence.One thing though,these sort of actions by the Indian govt.have really put a clamp on hunting.

mehulkamdar
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/04
Loc: State of Ill-Annoy USA.
Re: salman khan sentenced to five years [Re: iqbal]
      #54667 - 13/04/06 02:43 AM

Salman's being a Muslim had b****r all to do with his sentencing. He could have got permission to hunt Nilgai or boar from the local DFO and would not have had any trouble whatsoever as long as the land he hunted on was approved for a crop protection permit. FYI a Hindu was sentenced for shooting a tiger to more than 10 years rigorous imprisonment just two months earlier.

The fact is that Salman Khan went onto territory belonging to the Bishnoi tribe and hunted there illegally. Poaching is a crime that invites severe penalties in India and the judge in question threw the book at him. You either obey the law (however unjust it may seem) or invite the consequences like he did.

--------------------
The Ark was made by amateurs. Experts built the Titanic.

Mehul Kamdar

gryphon
.450 member

Reged: 01/01/03
Loc: Sambar ground/Victoria/Austral...
Re: salman khan sentenced to five years [Re: mehulkamdar]
      #54674 - 13/04/06 07:00 AM

Pautadi ?Indian cricket team captain?

How long ago was that because as a keen cricket follower i have never heard that name ever. Does he use another name when touring?

--------------------
Get off the chair away from the desk and get out in the bush and enjoy life.

AdamTayler
.375 member

Reged: 22/03/04
Loc: B.C.
      #54705 - 13/04/06 01:16 PM

"One of India's biggest film stars was jailed for five years yesterday and fined 25,000 rupees ($675) for shooting a heavily protected Chinkara gazelle while hunting in Rajasthanin in 1998.
Salman Khan, 40, was convicted at the end of an oft-adjourned five year trial in Jodhpur.
The case is a rare example of a rich and famous person being convicted by an Indian court. During the trial two of the 33 witnesses were convicted of wrongly retracting their statements.
Khan was given a one year sentence for killing two Black Buck antelopes last February. He has also been charged with killing one person and injuring four others in a hit-and-run incident in Bombay in September 2002" - Daily Telegraph

This guy is a real winner.

--------------------
It's the journey, not the destination.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: salman khan sentenced to five years [Re: AdamTayler]
      #54730 - 13/04/06 08:41 PM

With the number of people in the countryside in these parts of India, I am amazed anyone attempts poaching, as there are probably several dozen people in a square kilometre or two. Lots of hands to grease to get away with it.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

iqbal
resigned as a member

Re: salman khan sentenced to five years [Re: gryphon]
      #54736 - 13/04/06 11:39 PM

His name is Mansoor Ali Khan and he is the nawab of Pataudi.A long way back he led Indian cricket team as its captain.I'm glad there is another cricket lover like myself in the forum.

iqbal
resigned as a member

Re: salman khan sentenced to five years [Re: NitroX]
      #54737 - 13/04/06 11:47 PM

There used to be a lot of poaching specially in the forests as hunting is complerely banned and hunters had no alternative.But now the game wardens have been provided cell phones and can inform each other every time a vehicle enters the forest.This has reduced poaching to a great extent.However it has not been completely eradicated.

navigrewal
.224 member

Reged: 10/02/06
      #54765 - 14/04/06 08:02 AM

Well Salman Khan wasnt alone and was accompanied by some leading actresses and actor ironically Saif Khan, Nawab of Pataudi's son or Tiger Pataudi. Tiger Pataudi was caught poaching in Haryana state. Tiger led India's cricket team in early 70s

from www.cricinfo.com
Full name Mansur Ali Khan Pataudi (Nawab of)
Born January 5, 1941, Bhopal, Madhya Pradesh
Current age 65 years 98 days
Major teams India, Delhi, Hyderabad, Oxford University, Sussex
Also known as M A K Pataudi
Batting style Right-hand bat
Bowling style Right-arm medium
Relations Father - Nawab of Pataudi snr, Nephew - SB Jung

his father Senior Nawab of Pataudi even played for UK before 1947.
Nawab of Pataudi

India/England

Player profile

Full name Iftikhar Ali Khan Pataudi (Nawab of)
Born March 16, 1910, Pataudi, Punjab
Died January 5, 1952, New Delhi (aged 41 years 295 days)
Major teams England, India, Maharajah of Patiala's XI, Oxford University, Southern Punjab, Western India, Worcestershire
Batting style Right-hand bat
Relations Son - MAK Pataudi, Grandson - SB Jung

I know of Indian army officers who have been court martialed for the same crime.
Both Khan and Pataudi come from very rich and well connected families and they both chose to hunt in Bishnoi areas and will pay a prize for that.

mehulkamdar
.416 member

Re: salman khan sentenced to five years [Re: navigrewal]
      #54903 - 15/04/06 02:27 PM

Navdeep,

If I understood right, while Tabu, Saif etc were present, the actual shots that killed the blackbuck were fired by Salman, hence the sentence against him. The others were fined and reprimanded.

In the case against Pataudi, did he also hunt in a Bishnoi area? There does seem to be a controversy of sorts about that particular case with some alleging that the rifle that was used was his daughter Soha's and that the carcass was found by forest department officials in his jeep. There have been some suggestions that he took the rap to save his daughter...

Frankly, with the money that these people have, I wonder why they would just not come to the USA and hunt blackbuck in Texas - it is very reasonable and there is even a property owned by an Indian who allows hunting these animals these days. They keep travelling all over the world like I drive down to a fast food joint - you would think that they could pay for a hunt where it was legal.

The more I think about royalty of any kind, they seem like royal idiots to me. Salman is no royalty, of course, just an idiot.

--------------------

Mehul Kamdar

mehulkamdar
.416 member

#54904 - 15/04/06 02:29 PM

Adam,

The farce in India is that he was charged Rs 5000 or a little over $ 100 for driving over and killing a human being but was fined much more for shooting two blackbuck. There is an element of the ridiculous in all of this and not just in Salman Khan's wretched behaviour.

--------------------

Mehul Kamdar

Sujay
.224 member

Reged: 21/12/05
Loc: AP, India
      #54910 - 15/04/06 03:18 PM

Pataudi is also a Muslim. Fortunately in India, these factors do
not influence Judiciary.

vikram
.300 member

Reged: 29/07/04
Loc: Warwickshire,England
      #54954 - 16/04/06 11:32 AM

Macleod,

As you already know it's an antelope called Black buck.Apart from this, he is also alleged to have shot two Chinkaras, a type of deer.

Poaching is a big menace and Maharajahs to minor peasants indulge in it.The sentence is harsh, especially given the convict's social status. 99% of the accused in the poaching cases never get convicted. In his case, while the five year term appears to be severe, it must be borne in mind that he has a record for loutish behaviour and probably the judge wanted to set him straight and also send a message to his ilk. I liked the verdict. Many, now, would hesitate to put their lives at stake to poach. Legalising hunting is a different issue.

Mr Iqbal, not being critical, but that comment was uncalled for. He wouldn't become a superstar if that was the case. The thousands that gathered outside the courthouse in his support weren't all from the same community. It was an offense and he paid for it.

Cricket, I am a fanatic and ever ready for a game. Azhar was one of my fav batsmen and he is from Hyderabad, my city.

Best- Vikram

--------------------
"Routine is death to Heroism."- P.G.Wodehouse

navigrewal
.224 member

Reged: 10/02/06
      #54963 - 16/04/06 01:16 PM

Mehul

Regarding Salman "enfant terrible " of Bollywood, less said is better, this bugger was dating Miss Ashwarya Rai ex Miss Universe, before she kicked him out and he in drunken stupor ran over some guys (sic). I remember reading that he was hunting these bucks with .22 ( low calibre gun for such purpose) and then run over and finish the job with his hunting knife!!

Now regarding Nawab of Pataudi this is what Tribune had writtenhttp://www.tribuneindia.com/2005/20050702/saturday/stamped.htm " It is not the first time that Pataudi has got into trouble over hunting. In 1997, he managed a permit for hunting in the protected wetlands of Hokersar Lake in Jammu and Kashmir even though it was a banned sport there. Both Sharmila and Pataudi were guests of the then Chief Minister Farooq Abdullah. Sharmila had accompanied her husband on the hunt, and they had killed more than 100 waterfowl. Pataudi had used a gun with a curved butt— particularly designed for people who are blind in one eye"
Incidently his nick name Tiger is due to Tiger he shot as a kid with his grand father late Nawab of Bhopal.
Pataudi was caught poaching in Jhajjar District of Haryana and this state has sizeable Bishnoi population including a very powerful political ruling family so sensitivities matter a lot.
These cases have borught a new awareness to conservation and plight of wild life in India but anti gun lobby is also using these incidents to their advantage.

Navdeep

iqbal
resigned as a member

Re: salman khan sentenced to five years [Re: vikram]
      #54975 - 16/04/06 06:41 PM

: Salman Khan
Nationality: Indian
Claim to fame: The bad boy of Bollywood finally behind the bars
SAlMAN Khan seems to invite trouble almost masochistically. He is finally where everyone feared he would end up sooner or later - in jail. The Bollywood superstar was sentenced to five years rigorous imprisonment last Monday and send to the Central Jail in Jodhpur by a local court for killing endangered black buck in 1998. He was also fined Rs25,000 and immediately taken into custody and sent off to jail.
Salman, who appeared swollen-eyed and dazed after the verdict, was swiftly taken away by police, leaving no room for comments to the press. And in jail, the screen heartthrob got no special treatment and had to spend the nights in an ordinary cell and eat the same ordinary food served to other prisoners. The actor's family and many in Bollywood believe that Salman's celebrity status is responsible for harsh punishment matted out to him.. They could be right as the chief judicial magistrate made it clear when pronouncing the verdict that he wanted to set an example in this case.
To be honest, Salman Khan had it coming. In fact, it's a surprise that it took so long for
him to land up in jail, for the guy has been
courting trouble since he shed his milk teeth.
... He had been called everything from a spoilt brat; to.a hottempered and brash guy who gets into a fight at the drop of a hat. He is known for his weakness for drinking and women. Countless times he has picked up fights after getting drunk, roughed up the press every now and then been aggressive to
~his girl friends and those around them, and rumoured to have links with the underworld.
In the early hours of September 28, 2002, SaIman allegedly drove, while totally drunk, over four pavement dwellers, killing one. The actor was out the same day ona mere Rs15O
bail, though he did nof possess a driving

licence and his blood test revealed double the permissible alcohol level. Salman denied driving the car and that he was drunk and said that his bodyguard was driving. The funny thing is, his bodyguard didn't know how to drive! There were probably a few strings pulled and a few pockets filled because key witnesses soon changed their statements and Khan remained a free man. Till now.
No doubt, Salim Khan, Salman's father, his family and many in the film industry are going to move heaven and earth to get Salman out of jail. The actor has many projects under prduction and

there is too much

money at stake.

The jail term is going to be a real setback for
the actor's career. However, it seems unlikely
that Salman will be able to taste freedom any time soon. The public is tired of considering his mistakes as just the nadaniyan of a spolt and famous boy. And the law is all out to prove
that no one is above the law - particularly a habitual troublemaker.--Wajeeha Rehan
Article in the daily DAWN,Karachi.

macleod470
.224 member

Reged: 23/02/06
Loc: Virginia
      #55003 - 17/04/06 03:48 AM

very good information-I learn somehing new on this site everyday- I really enjoy learning about india and really enjoy talking with you guys-this is definatlety the best place on the web to talk about hunting in india iran pakistan etc-

mehulkamdar
.416 member

#55026 - 17/04/06 12:13 PM

Iqbal,

Thanks for the post. A very balanced article from Dawn on the man and his madness.

--------------------

Mehul Kamdar

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 4 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4465

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com