Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: get the goose!

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Australia, NZ & the South Pacific

greghud
.224 member

Reged: 03/11/08
Loc: top end, oz
get the goose!
      03/11/08 12:15 PM

hi,
new to the forum so i will post up a couple of storys from hunting up the top end.

With the onset of the build-up across the top end as the humidity rises, the mangos come to fruit, people start getting irritable and snappy and the season opens for waterfowl!
I was driving past the department of where you go to get a permit to hunt stuff (Natural Resources, Environment, The Arts and Sport. what a mouthful!) and had a spare 10min so thought bugger it, I will pick up my permit for the season.
I was soon on my way $20 poorer and with papers in hand. And found myself driving past the local cop shop. I thought bugger it im gonna go get a PTA so I can get an over under for the purpose.
I was soon on my way $15 poorer and in a few days I had the papers in hand. I had not decided what shotty I would get but I wanted a good one (for my budget) and so did the rounds of the local gun shops. Nothing really stood out, but I was in no hurry, the season was another 2 weeks away and I had a pig-hunting trip on so I figure I would leave it till after I was back.
A phone call out of the blue came from jb to ask weather I wanted a good shotty cheap, but it needed to be a quick sale. The seller was to join the army on the Monday and I was not to be back from the pig hunt until Saturday!
We meet up and it just sat perfectly against the shoulder, a Fanchie harrier deluxe. The length of pull could have been a little longer but I thought this would do.
I fitted a Pachmeyer decelerator and it was perfect. Off to get a goose!

I had a chat to Marrakai during the week but as he was busy, my brother, Marrakai and myself would have to take on the weekend warriors and headed out on Sunday morning to Harrison Dam. (One of the spots permitted on the waterfowl permit.)
We moved into position well away from the crowd just before first light and watched as the birds moved about.
Unfortunately with the activity from other shooters combined with the beautiful clear weather the geese were travelling just short of the ozone layer. We did manage a good feed by picking up a few strays that moved across to low, but not exactly exciting stuff.

Now word is that Marrakai has a top notch Cajun goose recipe that we had to try so we headed back to his place for a sampler. I also got to try “giblets” for the first time, quite tasty!
Laurie decided that a mid week reconnaissance exercise was needed to see if we could get a better spot and see if the birds are flying at a better hight without the other hunters about.
I also noticed that the birds seemed to veer off when they came close to me and must have seen me, as they got close. So for the first time since I was about 8 I got “cammed up”
We succeeded, the shooting was better as we were the only ones for miles, I could stand up in the clear and the birds flew right at me only veering off when I started shooting.
We collected our bag and headed home happy campers.

More trips to come as the rain starts.
Greg

--------------------

Post Extras Print Post   Remind Me!     Notify Moderator

Entire topic
Subject Posted by Posted on
* get the goose! greghud 03/11/08 12:15 PM
. * * Re: get the goose! Bakes   26/11/08 09:42 AM
. * * Re: get the goose! NitroXAdministrator   26/11/08 03:04 PM
. * * Re: get the goose! Marrakai   26/11/08 09:22 PM
. * * Re: get the goose! Bakes   26/11/08 10:35 PM
. * * Re: get the goose! Marrakai   21/12/08 11:03 PM
. * * Re: get the goose! NitroXAdministrator   04/11/08 04:48 PM
. * * Re: get the goose! greghud   04/11/08 07:27 PM
. * * Re: get the goose! NitroXAdministrator   26/11/08 02:53 PM
. * * Re: get the goose! Marrakai   03/11/08 02:57 PM
. * * Re: get the goose! greghud   03/11/08 05:43 PM
. * * Re: get the goose! peter   03/11/08 07:22 PM

Extra information
0 registered and 63 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Thread views: 4085

Rate this thread

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com