Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Preaching sambar.....its an Aussie thing.

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Australia, NZ & the South Pacific

gryphon
.450 member

Reged: 01/01/03
Loc: Sambar ground/Victoria/Austral...
Preaching sambar.....its an Aussie thing.
      27/10/16 11:09 AM

Preaching is the term known colloquially for Sambar stags when they stand on their hind feet and anoint the tree foliage with the waxy deposit from their pre orbital glands.
I have seen hinds do the same to grab a mouthful of leaves but never actually "preach"

Last night just before dark I witnessed as described below in an email to another sambar hunter.

G`day old fella,

I thought I might ask if you have seen much of sambar hinds preaching. I have seen a lot of male sambar preaching and hinds bi-pedaling for leaves but last night i witnessed a mature hind lead two calves a spikey and another hind just out of the bush.
She took the mob along the bush edge to a preach pad/tree and then she 'preached' and I mean preached just as a stag would.
She was up for 1/2 a minute,prob a bit less and then did a "ewe" type 1/4 squat and pissed a good one directly onto the pad hence making her mark,presumably as the lead hind strutting her stuff.
The spikey came after her and preached 3-4' to the right of where she had scent marked with her face,obviously the 'male' spot on the tree,I didn't note him pissing which is unusual.

I thought it was a great experience of course.

And when I left home I said to ******* "I`m not carting my big camera with me tonight and I bet I get an opp" Murphys law eh!

I have been sitting off another mob that were only arriving in impossible light so I carted my camera gear for a week for nothing ha ha..oh lesson learned!

--------------------
Get off the chair away from the desk and get out in the bush and enjoy life.

Post Extras Print Post   Remind Me!     Notify Moderator

Entire topic
Subject Posted by Posted on
* Preaching sambar.....its an Aussie thing. gryphon 27/10/16 11:09 AM
. * * Re: Preaching sambar.....its an Aussie thing. DarylS   27/10/16 01:18 PM
. * * Re: Preaching sambar.....its an Aussie thing. gryphon   27/10/16 03:58 PM

Extra information
0 registered and 8 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Thread views: 934

Rate this thread

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com