Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Camels

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Australia, NZ & the South Pacific

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
tophet1
.400 member

Reged: 15/09/07
Loc: NSW, Australia
Camels
      #177117 - 14/03/11 03:56 PM

I may have gained free access to a property with Camels and Brumbys.

Does anybody here have any experience with shooting Camels ?
Suggested calibres ?
Anything strange about their anatomy ?

All help gratefully received.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
kamilaroi
.400 member

Reged: 18/12/04
Loc: sydney, new south wales, Austr...
Re: Camels [Re: tophet1]
      #177118 - 14/03/11 04:32 PM

As the old member of la "Legion Etrangere said: "You don't want to get an ugly one!"

(Handy hint: carry lipstick)

chemarq
.275 member

Reged: 17/03/10
Loc: Spain
Re: Camels [Re: kamilaroi]
      #177119 - 14/03/11 04:53 PM

I imagine as quite big animals... you would need a medium-heavvy caliber.
I would go to choose anything over the 8 mm, or 9,3 mm

But sincerely... i have to confess that i never spoke to anybody who shooted one of them.... probably you will explain us much more ... and we will learn from your experience.

Maybe is a good moment to use one of these big calibers thst slept in the back of the armoury waiting your next trip to Africa.... and check the results on camel meat... at least a camel is part of Africa...isnīt it ????

Good luck..!!

Jose

--------------------
Spitskop Safaris - South Africa

www.spitskop.co.za

500Nitro
.450 member

Reged: 06/01/03
Loc: Victoria, Australia
Re: Camels [Re: chemarq]
      #177120 - 14/03/11 05:05 PM

We might need the Camels to go to Libya soon !!! LOL

tophet1
.400 member

Re: Camels [Re: kamilaroi]
      #177121 - 14/03/11 05:40 PM

Quote:

As the old member of la "Legion Etrangere said: "You don't want to get an ugly one!"

(Handy hint: carry lipstick)

Lol. I shouldn't be surprised to get a reply like that should I ? (Thumbs Up). I can see a ballistics report with a difference in the future.

Ben
.400 member

Reged: 22/08/08
Loc: Northern Territory, Australia
Re: Camels [Re: 500Nitro]
      #177122 - 14/03/11 05:54 PM

I've shot camels with the .30/30, a .308, a 7mm STW and the .416 Rigby. My Dad shot one with the .22-250, and the station crew got after them with a .223, but that is just asking for trouble and lost animals (my Dad didn't lose any, but none of us are trying that again). I've also shot a couple with traditional bow-and-arrow.

I love big bore rifles with open sights, as you know. Now, there are some camels and places where it is quite feasible to try this, and other camels and places where it is impossible to get close enough. If the camels have been bombed-up before, they won't let you get very close. If you hide at a water hole, they will be wary, but they'll get close enough for you to big bore them. Depending on the vegetation, they can be stalked to big bore range if they haven't been bombed before, but you won't completely surprise them very often as is usually the case with hunting goats or pigs or buffalo - camels are hardly ever surprised, due to their height and the open country, but the naive ones will allow you to get big bore close out of curiosity.

One of my favourite things in the whole wide world is sitting under some scant shade at a dam or trough all day in the desert, and just waiting, watching, resting, photographing birds and scenery, and finally shooting. You can have action any time of day in the desert, and sometimes action every hour or so. The best action is during drought times, and with the blessed Spanish lady around, the next drought might be some time away. Prolific action against camels will have to wait until the interior dries a bit.

I will eventually purchase my own flat-shooter, specifically for the wary camels at long range and plains game in Africa. I would be very happy with a .300WM for this. As I daydream about future days spent by a desert dam, I imagine that I would like to have with me my longbow and wooden arrows in case that chance arises, as well as for silent plinking fun to pass the time; and one of my big bore rifles should the animals come close, but not close enough; and that .300WM for the wary ones, or to knock the ones over that retreat quickly once the big bore or bow has its action up close. A good book, too; something like a Louis L'Amour western seems to suit the desert, and is easier to pack around than Dostoevsky or Tolstoy.

But, camels and horses have a boiler room just like all of God's creatures, and when you put the right bullet there, the job is done. With the camel, just don't shoot low into that resting pad at the bottom of his chest between his front legs, because there's nothing vital there.

Have fun!

Ben
.400 member

Re: Camels [Re: Ben]
      #177123 - 14/03/11 05:57 PM

You can see that resting pad in my avatar.

Ben
.400 member

#177124 - 14/03/11 05:59 PM

.375 H&H is another good calibre, of course. I haven't personally shot any camels with this calibre, but have observed it in action against them.

Ben
.400 member

#177126 - 14/03/11 06:01 PM

http://forums.nitroexpress.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=163104&an=0&page=2#Post163104

Ben
.400 member

#177127 - 14/03/11 06:03 PM

http://forums.nitroexpress.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=165443&an=0&page=0#Post165443

eagle27
.400 member

Reged: 24/01/09
Loc: Nelson, New Zealand
      #177128 - 14/03/11 06:11 PM

Hopefully you can get within "spitting" distance of them. He He!!!!!!

Seriously, we used to chase them in our 4WDs up in the northern western desert areas and some were pretty big and quite fast on the move. We weren't allowed firearms in our work camp so didn't shoot any. Depending on the type of country you have to hunt I would think something in the 7mm or 30cal range to reach out and retain energy would do the trick. 7mm Mag would be my choice. They are not dangerous at range so I wouldn't think anything more than a deer rifle is needed.

Ben
.400 member

Re: Camels [Re: eagle27]
      #177130 - 14/03/11 06:17 PM

They can carry quite a few imperfect hits at longer ranges, too, and they have rather big bones that can soak-up energy. My Dad's pride-and-joy is his 7mm STW, and it sure does work; but I'd still rather something slightly larger if I was buying for this sort of shooting. However, if you have a .270 or a 7mm-something, take it into action with good bullets!

Rule303
.416 member

Reged: 05/07/09
Loc: Woodford Qld
      #177132 - 14/03/11 06:32 PM

John, I have not hunted camels but I figure your 9.3 would more than do the job.

Good hunting.

Cheers

Greg

tophet1
.400 member

Re: Camels [Re: Rule303]
      #177133 - 14/03/11 07:44 PM

Ben, that was a very descriptive and helpful reply. I could visualise you in the shade of an isolated pump house/tank stand, waiting and taking it all in.

Greg. I've suddenly realised that I have a calibre gap between my 264WM/7x57 and 9.3x62. I was thinking the 9.3 with 250 Accubonds would be the go.

Cinghiale
.333 member

Reged: 15/04/08
Loc: Northern Territory
      #177136 - 14/03/11 10:29 PM

300Win Mag is a brilliant Camel gun good 180's and they are gooooooooooooooooone!

JMHO....

But you don't have one yet either....

MOG

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Camels [Re: Cinghiale]
      #177139 - 14/03/11 11:04 PM

I reckon a medium calibre is fine, from the .270, 7mm etc and up. Proper shooting and bullet placement of course.

However use a big bore if you wish, for fun.

When I have my 8x68S, that will be what I would use.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Dr_Deer
.300 member

Reged: 23/02/09
Loc: Australia
      #177159 - 15/03/11 08:19 AM

Quote:

I may have gained free access to a property with Camels and Brumbys.

Does anybody here have any experience with shooting Camels ?
Suggested calibres ?
Anything strange about their anatomy ?

All help gratefully received.

If I was shooting camels again I'd take the .375H&H and load it with flat shooting 260g NABs. Anything from the 7mm 160g would probably be effective but I can think of better things to do in 40 degree heat than chase up blood spoor on a gibber plain.

As for anatomy, just remember the spine lies dorsal in the neck - a broadside shot to the centre of the neck can severe the windpipe and nick the blood vessels without breaking the spine Just what you need when being watched and expecting it to drop on the spot

tim416
.224 member

Reged: 24/01/11
Loc: Maine
Re: Camels [Re: Dr_Deer]
      #177162 - 15/03/11 09:36 AM

Camels?!
I didn't know it was possible to hunt em.
I was stationed in the Middle East when in the U.S. military and have wanted to kill these things since one spit all over me in Bahrain.
Australia just moved to the top of my hunting destinations list!

--------------------
Tim
tim@farrensafaris.com
www.farrenglobaladventures.com

500Nitro
.450 member

Re: Camels [Re: tim416]
      #177163 - 15/03/11 09:50 AM

Quote:

Camels?!
I was stationed in the Middle East when in the U.S. military and have wanted to kill these things since one spit all over me in Bahrain.

"Hunt" or Kill ?

Haven't hunted them but know plenty of people who drive around until they find them.

Would like to get one on the tally sheet one day.

Ben
.400 member

Re: Camels [Re: 500Nitro]
      #177175 - 15/03/11 05:42 PM

Quote:

"Hunt" or Kill ?

Haven't hunted them but know plenty of people who drive around until they find them.

Would like to get one on the tally sheet one day.

Yes, they are often shot from a vehicle or from near a vehicle. It is seldom wise or profitable to set-out from camp on foot hoping to find one. I do not count as real hunting the camels I have culled from the window, but I do count as real hunting those ambushed at water or those spotted from the vehicle and then stalked. Remember, you may spot a camel two kilometres away from the vehicle, and not be able to access him except by walking. Other than ambush, covering lots of ground in a vehicle is the next best thing, and is almost a necessity when trying for camels. The classic camel hunt might be to drive through the dunes, stopping every kilometre or so to climb to the top and glass, and then, should you be lucky-enough to spot some on some distant dune, drive as close as you can, and then cover the remainder, often a couple of kilometres, on foot. Once the shooting starts, the remaining camels will stretch-out their long legs to places safer, and it is very difficult to run through the scrub after them, churning your way up the next dune hoping to get a shot, but just catching a glimpse of them as they disappear over the dune across the valley. But yes, they are often spotted then stalked from the vehicle, which is why, given the choice, I would prefer to ambush them at water because to me it seems a richer experience.

tophet1
.400 member

#177205 - 16/03/11 07:34 AM

Quote:

Camels?!

Tim,

In case no one has done so, welcome to Nitro Express. It is good to see an American based outfitter joining. Yes, camels are a feral introduced pest here, free to hunt with the land holders permission.

If I gain access then it will cost me fuel to drive the 1,300km there 1,300km back, plus food. There are some exhorbitant prices being charged to hunt these and the costs to do so, are very high. As the majority of game in Australia is introduced and highly destructive, apart from making a clean kill, ethics for me don't really apply.

A camel is one to tick off my 'to do' list and I will be actively pursuing this opportunity.

GTG, I've got to re zero the 9.3x62 with the 250 Accubonds

500Nitro
.450 member

#177207 - 16/03/11 07:38 AM

"As the majority of game in Australia is introduced and highly destructive, apart from making a clean kill, ethics for me don't really apply."

Well said. I think it is also applicable that a fair fw of the bigger introduced species - Camel, Buffalo, Donkey's, Horse, Scrub bulls, pigs et al are often few and far between and a lot of distance needs to be covered to find them, hence why some are shot from close to vehicles - I personally don't shoot from a vehicle at these (pigs being the exception), preferring to get out and get closer by foot if possible.

On the other side of the coin, spending a weekend walking long distances along creeks and waterholes after Buff, boars etc is great hunting.

tim416
.224 member

Reged: 24/01/11
Loc: Maine
      #177209 - 16/03/11 08:22 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Camels?!

Tim,

In case no one has done so, welcome to Nitro Express. It is good to see an American based outfitter joining. Yes, camels are a feral introduced pest here, free to hunt with the land holders permission.

If I gain access then it will cost me fuel to drive the 1,300km there 1,300km back, plus food. There are some exhorbitant prices being charged to hunt these and the costs to do so, are very high. As the majority of game in Australia is introduced and highly destructive, apart from making a clean kill, ethics for me don't really apply.

A camel is one to tick off my 'to do' list and I will be actively pursuing this opportunity.

GTG, I've got to re zero the 9.3x62 with the 250 Accubonds

Thanks for the welcome. I just found this site when I heard the news of it going down temporarily elswhere. I am enjoying reading the posts and learning a little about the game and hunting culture of Australia.
I have been hunting Africa since 1995 and now spend from April to September in Zimbabwe managing a lodge in the Matetsi Safari area.
Thanks again for the welcome and looking forward to reading the posts here.

--------------------
Tim
tim@farrensafaris.com
www.farrenglobaladventures.com

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #177281 - 17/03/11 08:12 PM

Quote:

Thanks for the welcome. I just found this site when I heard the news of it going down temporarily elswhere. I am enjoying reading the posts and learning a little about the game and hunting culture of Australia.
I have been hunting Africa since 1995 and now spend from April to September in Zimbabwe managing a lodge in the Matetsi Safari area.
Thanks again for the welcome and looking forward to reading the posts here.

Tim,

See even negative publicity works!

Tim, welcome. There are estimates of several hundred thousand to even over a million (?) camels in the Australian deserts and they are a considerable pest. Getting access to them, and getting to them is part of the difficulty of the hunt.

Which lodge in Matetsi do you manage? Which block?

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

tophet1
.400 member

Re: Camels [Re: NitroX]
      #177340 - 18/03/11 04:00 PM

Well it looks like a go'er for late June.

Dingos, Pigs and Brumbys are also on the agenda. I plan to be self sufficient and swag it from a mobile camp packed into my twin cab 4x4.

I've got a 9.3x62 load, spare rifle (The .264WM) Need a GPS and fuel containers...... and ... and ...

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 8 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 17150

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com