Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Australia rifles & hunters *DELETED*

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Australia, NZ & the South Pacific

Pages: 1
blackbearhunter
.333 member

Reged: 15/06/04
Loc: swamp
Australia rifles & hunters *DELETED*
      #17291 - 27/07/04 11:56 PM

Post deleted by blackbearhunter

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Bakes
.375 member

Reged: 31/01/03
Loc: QLD
Re: Australia rifles & hunters *DELETED* [Re: blackbearhunter]
      #17395 - 29/07/04 04:09 PM

Why???? What we say???? Come-on now I have to know what the post is about

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Australia rifles & hunters *DELETED* [Re: Bakes]
      #17396 - 29/07/04 04:35 PM

It was a question about what calibres, rifles and cartridges we use in Aust. From what I remember. I've been busy getting ready so couldn't answer. Don't know why the poster deleted it.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

blackbearhunter
.333 member

Re: Australia rifles & hunters *DELETED* [Re: NitroX]
      #19367 - 23/09/04 12:44 AM

NitroX got it right,whats the favorite cartridge and rifle types in australia ?Deleted cause I thought there was no interest....
Thanks for bring it back.

Bakes
.375 member

Reged: 31/01/03
Loc: QLD
      #19385 - 23/09/04 09:17 AM

Thanks to the government we are left with mostly bolt actions. Military calibres would be most popular with the .308 being top I would think. .223's are very popular as well and most average shooters think that the 30/06 is a "big gun". Sambar hunters would be the main users of big bores in this country.

I like mausers and my favorite rifle is a sporter M96 in 6.5x55. Next year it will get a face lift ie, new stock, reblued etc.

blackbearhunter
.333 member

Re: Australia rifles & hunters *DELETED* [Re: Bakes]
      #19388 - 23/09/04 12:11 PM

Do you have to buy a license and do you have government /public land?We have to pay like 60.00$ a year to hunt which includes-Big game-small game-primitive weapons/archery and wma/public land access hunting and fishing.
Do you get to ride 4wheeler atv bikes?We can in certain areas.Also on private property we have no season on wild hogs.My season runs from september/archery to january 1.Archery only is about a month then rifle season till january 1.
We can use any 22 center fire for big game as the smallest caliber, but the smallest I have ever seen anyone with was a 243.Everyone shoots from 300magnums down.You never see any 338 or bigger,45-70 is popular too as is the 444.
In my area which is mountains and close to tennessee and north carolina we share the same bear populations,because bears roam and have something like a 30 mile travel home area.We have some bigones to.My states record is over 500# and I think the north carolina record is around 800#.Thats a big strong bear!
In the southern part of my state there are some big boars.The boar Godzilla that made it on the news this summer is the most famous,I have seen 2 that were easy 500#+ and I saw a sow a fellow hunter took that live weight was 475# before being field dressed.They are really everywhere in the swamps.Average good boar will go 200# or more easy.We have rattlesnakes/coral and several other poision snakes to keep us looking all the time were we step and the Black widow spider is common and deadly.
I wish we had your water buffalo.Those guys are bad to the bone!
Oh yea,you guys ever hear/see of a band called AC/DC.
We jam on there tunes when we go mud bogging in the swamps.....Cool Band!! :grin Swamp Music

mix3006
.224 member

Reged: 22/08/04
Loc: Wollongong NSW Australia
      #19393 - 23/09/04 02:12 PM

BBH;in New South Wales we have just had imposed on us a "game bill" which restricts on us a dedicated deer hunting season.Property owners are exempt for culling purposes.All other feral species are available at any time without a licence unless you want to hunt on crown land,which will require a licence.$60 a year,just cost me $300 for 5 years.There is a fair amount of detail in this licence but I won't bore you with the details!
Sambar deer require 270W minimum and Hog deer 243W,these are Victorian regulations and don't know if they apply to NSW,not that we're likely to get Hoggies up here;the Sambar are on the move though.
I can't believe you want our Buffalo as well as all the fine fine fine fine species you've got over there .Maybe one day your can come over and take one home for a wall mounted pet!!
When the revolution comes,I believe the union jack will be replaced with ACDC (original line up)in the LH corner of our new republic flag and the southern cross will be retained as a matter of course.
I agree with Bakes in regards to calibres,and it seems IMHO most of us are not a real adventurous lot so when someone does something different we sit up and take notice.I suppose that is why we log on to forums like this one.
All the best. Mick

blackbearhunter
.333 member

Re: Australia rifles & hunters *DELETED* [Re: mix3006]
      #19397 - 23/09/04 08:24 PM

Do non residents have a special fee or set of rules?I know in alaska one must use a guide by law..My state has a higher fee for non residents but they are free to hunt the whole season just like a resident.I have seen pictures here on the forum of the beautiful country you have and I think if i ever go on a Australia Hunting Trip I would have a Great Time.Would I be required by Law to hire a guide?Or could I just go it alone in the bush and live for days on in out of a tent and pack and hunt till The season closed say for several weeks?I have a few friends like that ,they hunt almost the whole season living in deer camp and having a great time! They would rather live in a hunting camp than a house.....
They Live to hunt.....Sorta like modern day mountain men.
When I was younger I would live for a week bymyself in the forest every year and Deer hunt the whole time mainly with a bow.You guys ever go in the bush like that and just hunt for days & days?

mix3006
.224 member

#19402 - 23/09/04 11:28 PM

It's really all going to come down to what you want to hunt.
Sambar deer are no problem as there is plenty of public land to access but this also joins private property and you need to know boundary lines and unless your a local even if you are lucky enough to see one it will probably be fairly ordinary.My choice,get guided and bag something respectable,taxidermy costs the same for either.
With Hoggies you certainly do require a permit and these deer live in very specific areas,not sure of the current cost of a permit but fairly hard to get I believe.
The mountains that I can see from here are full of Rusa deer but near all is private property and short of using thumb screws permission is DIFFICULT.Matter of fact the current(?)Australian record was taken not 10mins.from my house in somebody's front yard.And im not kidding!!
I believe all buffalo are owned by somebody one way or another and unless you lay down big bucks it's unlikely you are going to be the owner of one.
A good friend of mine ownes property in central west NSW and has plenty of good deer and is hosting a Yank next season on a swap hunt type of arrangement.You would be amazed at what can be worked out depending on who brings what to the table .
So despite my ramblings,to finally answer your question about guides,sometimes it's not necessary but highly recommended at all times.
I wouldn't go over there unguided,shit,I saw Deliverence

Gadge
.300 member

Reged: 02/05/04
Loc: Gippsland, Victoria, Australia
      #19428 - 25/09/04 02:09 PM

Hog deer come under the same Game Licence as the other Vic deer species. Hog deer hunting is also available on public land, but there are two Game Reserve areas [Blond Bay and Boole Poole peninsula] where hunts are by drawn ballot only, with a $10 entry fee.

BTW, licence yearly cost is currently $40.90 for either deer or game birds, $65.90 for both.

--------------------
Cheers,
Doug

blackbearhunter
.333 member

Re: Australia rifles & hunters *DELETED* [Re: Gadge]
      #19435 - 26/09/04 10:21 AM

Whats the limit on deer there?We can take 12 deer ,two bucks only and one of those bucks has to have 4points on one side that are at least one inch long.The post about deliverance was funny and made me laugh out loud.That story was true and took place about 30 miles from where I live.I grew up running those ridges and pounce de leone rode thru here looking for the fouatain of youth,Beautiful country and you would love it absolutely-Gods country-Clean air-No /Traffic jams/No city stores-nothing but wilderness as far as the eye can see.The bad guys on deliverance are every where, in every town,in every country,in every jail.If you dont belive that just watch your local news every day..........They dont mess with me to much,when i go to there valley-because -yea though I walk thru the valley of Death, I fear no evil,because Iam the baddest son of a bitch in the valley!!! And Iam always packing a BIG BORE NITRO DOUBLE RIFLE!!!

blackbearhunter
.333 member

#19448 - 27/09/04 01:40 AM

Also is baiting allowed?We cant bait and the game & fish will catch you if you do and make a case.We hunt around acorns,apples,persimmons,food plots ,fields,power lines,honeysucles,etc.,What kind of food sources do you guys have?Lots of big deer are shot over farm fields with peas & soybeans,corn,peanuts,etc.How big are your deer weight wise?It is common to shoot one here that will go 200-150#.Most will tip the scales around 100-125# field dressed.My state has over a million deer population,auto collisions are everyday occurance,lots of private landowners that dont allow hunting so deer just overpopulate.How many species of deer do you have?Also do you have feral goats as well as feral donkeys?

M82A1Barret50Cal
.275 member

Reged: 12/04/04
Loc: ACT, Australia
      #19464 - 27/09/04 03:30 PM

In reply to:

When the revolution comes,I believe the union jack will be replaced with ACDC (original line up)in the LH corner of our new republic flag and the southern cross will be retained as a matter of course.

You forgot to mention that we are going to abolish all firearms laws and start anew with them, this time they will be written by hunters and shooters...

M82A1

mix3006
.224 member

#19471 - 27/09/04 11:31 PM

There's no limit on deer in NSW and I only ever hunt for trophies and as such I only take one or two animals a year.Thats all I can afford to have mounted in regards to deer so bag limits mean nothing to me.I spend three months looking to take one shot but that's what I like.
In regards to baiting,the only animals i've ever baited are pigs and foxes but there are no restrictions on this practice here,bearing in mind all my hunting is done on private property.
Food sources for our deer are mainly grassed areas either hills or mountains but the buggers love apples too.I'll get on that property one day!!!The pigs on wheat stubble are guaranteed action,good fun but no good for Douglas points.
Your home range sounds superb,I can hear the banjo's from here.I'm sure I would love it,probably fit right in .
Red Deer-300lbs
Sambar Deer-500lbs
Fallow Deer-150lbs
Chital Deer-200lbs
Rusa Deer-250lbs
Hog Deer-100lbs
These are approx.weights on the hoof for mature stags.

M82A1
a bad oversight on my part;submit all constitutional ammendment draft proposals to C/O Parliment House and we'll pick them up later. VIVA THE INFIDEL.

blackbearhunter
.333 member

Re: Australia rifles & hunters *DELETED* [Re: M82A1Barret50Cal]
      #19472 - 27/09/04 11:37 PM

Do you guys have a group sorta like the NRA?Also is violant crime bad,is that why the gun laws over there changed so much?Do you have capitol punishment?Did the new laws curb crime any?Over hear we say when guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns...also can you own semi auto pistols and rifles?

blackbearhunter
.333 member

#19473 - 27/09/04 11:55 PM

Hey mix,You would love it and you would fit right in for sure.ThoseRed, fallow & sambar sure are some beautiful deer,not familier with the others.I would love to have a couple to hang on the wall.The folks here are really friendly and the hunting is some of the best in the south.I wish I knew how to download some pics.I have shot the grand slam for my state,Deer,Bear,Hog,Turkey.Like you I hunt hard and only take what I need.I pass maybe 50 deer a season I could shoot but dont,before I will take one .Usually I take 2 or 3 deer a year.On a good days hunt i have seen something like 12-15 deer but thats not always.Have seen 5-6 a hunt many times.The rut is the best time to see the big bucks,usually around november,they move and will not bed or eat for days-just chase Does.Weather will be cold and you can walk for miles and not break out in a sweat.The leaves on the trees will be gone also and you can see a long ways through the big woods.Thanksgiving Holidays would be my pick if i could only hunt one week........

blackbearhunter
.333 member

#19474 - 28/09/04 12:03 AM

Is the chital deer sorta like the sambar in looks?The rusa and hog deer I dont think i have ever seen a picture of them.I bet they are all good to bar-b-Q on the old pit cooker.Do you guys ever make jerkey?Also the neck roast is one of my favorite tender cuts of meat...Stew anyone?It dont get no better eating than that.....

mix3006
.224 member

#19475 - 28/09/04 12:11 AM

We've got the SSAA (sporting shooters association of Australia).
The gun laws have changed so much due to knee jerk reactions
from political leaders who have neither the mental capacity
nor intestinal fortitude to tackle the source of the illegal gun trade which can be directly attributed to the organised crime syndicates in this country.
We had our first political asassination here several years ago and the pollies woke up quick smart what could happen if they rock the boat,easier to attack the law abiding citizen without fear of physical retribution.That's my bitch for the day.
No I don't think we will have capital punishment again here,
more's the pity.
If I remember rightly,statics showed after the handgun buyback(semi-autos),handgun related crime did not fall at any level whatsoever.This says it all.
No semi auto anything for hunting purposes.

mix3006
.224 member

#19476 - 28/09/04 12:22 AM

Bloody Hell BBH;if your as quick on the smoke pole as you are on that key board plenty of critters are in trouble
You sound like my kind a hunter.I just had to give a mate of mine the ol'heave ho as my hunting companion not long ago.Shooter not hunter,that dosen't suit me especially after driving 10 or so hours after top boars.
Sometimes ya gotta be hard.

mix3006
.224 member

#19477 - 28/09/04 12:31 AM

The chital are a beautiful faced animal and look nothing like a Sambar which is a big beast with a roman nose.
The family really enjoyed my last Red stag stew,after so much work so they should!!
I havent tried jerkey but I bet it would be nice and spicey.

Gadge
.300 member

Reged: 02/05/04
Loc: Gippsland, Victoria, Australia
      #19498 - 28/09/04 08:19 PM

For Vic [no special rules for non-residents]:
Hog deer it's a one month season [April] with some of the balloted hunts a month either side; bag limit one of each sex, tagging and weighin required. Minimum calibre .243/85 gr/2" case length.

Reds; two month season [June + July], no bag limit, realistically only available on private property, min cal .270/130 gr/2" case.

Fallow; private property only, no closed season or bag limit, min cal as for hog deer.

Sambar; no bag limit, open season all year for stalkers, closed from 30 November to just after Easter for hound hunters [scent-trailing breeds e.g. beagles]. Min cal as for Reds. Most hunting is on public land for these.

There are feral goats, but mostly in NSW and SA & QLD. They get mustered and sold to processors, for export to the Middle East in frozen carcass form, a lot these days.

--------------------
Cheers,
Doug

gryphon
.450 member

Reged: 01/01/03
Loc: Sambar ground/Victoria/Austral...
Re: Australia rifles & hunters *DELETED* [Re: Gadge]
      #20371 - 02/11/04 03:34 PM

For $40 a year both you and i can hunt all year for sambar stags which i believe is the best free range hunting in the world and i mean hunting in the true sense.........find tracks and follow them to the deer or at least anticipate where they are,true hunting and none of that Watervalley "game ranch" shit for me...have a look at a few on the link if you want,all taken free and WILD too and i repeat unlimited numbers of either sex for $40 a year YEEHAA!

--------------------
Get off the chair away from the desk and get out in the bush and enjoy life.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 19 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4389

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com