Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Water buffalo horn, carving of---where to buy?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Australia, NZ & the South Pacific

doubleriflejack
.333 member

Reged: 11/11/07
Loc: Oregon, U.S.A.
Water buffalo horn, carving of---where to buy?
      26/02/09 10:20 AM

As many of you know, the German gunmakers, especially prior to WWI, but to some degree to WWII, carved trigger guards, buttplates, and sometimes other parts for guns/rifles, from buffalo horn, horn that tends to be mostly black in color, but sometimes with some areas that are brown; with periodic blotches of white. I am quite certain that it was water buffalo horn from India that they used. I am in U.S.A.; have hunted big game all of my life, over past 40+ years, but, of course, have never hunted water or cape buffalo, so I know next to nothing about the animals and the horn. Did the early German gunmakers truly use buffalo horn from India, or what? Are the water buffalo in Australia the same species as the ones from India? How does cape buffalo horn compare to water buffalo horn? Is that water buffalo horn hollow or solid? Where can one buy pieces of such horn, large enough for carving triggerguards/buttplates, etc. as repladement pieces on these sort of guns/rifles?

Post Extras Print Post   Remind Me!     Notify Moderator

Entire topic
Subject Posted by Posted on
* Water buffalo horn, carving of---where to buy? doubleriflejack 26/02/09 10:20 AM
. * * Re: Water buffalo horn, carving of---where to buy? NitroXAdministrator   26/02/09 03:08 PM
. * * Re: Water buffalo horn, carving of---where to buy? Marty   27/02/09 01:16 AM
. * * Re: Water buffalo horn, carving of---where to buy? 500Nitro   26/02/09 03:47 PM
. * * Re: Water buffalo horn, carving of---where to buy? 450_EXPRESS   26/02/09 05:28 PM
. * * Re: Water buffalo horn, carving of---where to buy? ozhunter   26/02/09 06:23 PM
. * * Re: Water buffalo horn, carving of---where to buy? peter   26/02/09 07:08 PM
. * * Re: Water buffalo horn, carving of---where to buy? Marrakai   27/02/09 12:39 AM
. * * Re: Water buffalo horn, carving of---where to buy? m4220   26/02/09 10:30 AM

Extra information
0 registered and 21 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Thread views: 4058

Rate this thread

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com