Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Dreaming of a NZ stag hunt

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Australia, NZ & the South Pacific

Pages: 1
BillfromOregon
.333 member

Reged: 27/10/04
Loc: Sweetwater, by God Texas
Dreaming of a NZ stag hunt
      #187710 - 10/08/11 09:08 AM

I'm not anywhere near ready to book, but have been thinking that a stag hunt in New Zealand might be a really memorable experience. It's definitely on my bucket list. Discounting airfare, what would a guy expect to pay for decent guided hunt -- and where in the islands?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
tophet1
.400 member

Reged: 15/09/07
Loc: NSW, Australia
Re: Dreaming of a NZ stag hunt [Re: BillfromOregon]
      #187713 - 10/08/11 11:10 AM

Bill (?),

I take it you refer to Red Stag ? I have recently return from such a hunt in NZ.

http://forums.nitroexpress.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=178624&an=0&page=1#Post178624

That animal cost me A$2K plus travel costs. We were restricted to the owners farm but the deer could come and go and on the second day there the weather changed and they all buggered off, so I was lucky to get the one I did. This operator also offered free range Fallow and Sitka deer. His Wapiti (elk) were behind wire. http://www.southpacificwapiti.co.nz/

Others on this forum have a broader knowledge and experience than me in regard to NZ however, as I am not primarily a deer hunter.

The opportunity and costs to hunt Red Stag are varied. The sky is the limit as far as costs go depending on how, where and what you want to hunt. Often the cost is related to the size of the stag. Traditionally I have had the perception that true free range Red Deer are more commonly ethically hunted on the South Island.

Hunting on both islands can be on public land, farms, private land and behind wire or a combination of all. The big give away for tame animals is if the antlers are clean and white on a freshly shot stag in the brochures. Red deer are traditionally forest animals which mean their antlers are stained from moving though the bush. If the antlers are pure white then the animal is either restricted to open grazeing, the wild tops of the mountains or is farm bred to be shot.

I was quoted A$6K for a 'ridge' stag on the South Island. This is a wild stag hunted at the back of someones farm. That price dropped to A$2.5K as the outfitter was keen to get clients.

NZ is like African hunting, bargain hard and don't accept the first price offered.

tophet1
.400 member

Re: Dreaming of a NZ stag hunt [Re: tophet1]
      #187715 - 10/08/11 11:31 AM

I'll add that hunting in the NZ topography is an amazing experience and well worth the trip.

Flatswader
.224 member

Reged: 29/03/08
Loc: Southeastern USA
Re: Dreaming of a NZ stag hunt [Re: BillfromOregon]
      #187720 - 10/08/11 12:51 PM

I'm going to NZ next March on a Red stag hunt. Not a big Stag hunter personally, spend most of my hunting time either in Africa, or here in the Southeastern USA on a small place me and my son hunt. With that said, I am looking forward to my NZ hunt, where I will be hunting highlands for early rut stags. Plan on taking a .375 Fl magnum double with a Schmidt & Bender scope as my primary rifle. I do have better bolt guns for this particular outing, but if you can't do it with a double what's the point?

The costs are in-line with African plains game if you are hunting "wild" stag, note- that I use the term wild loosely in this context. NZ does offer Stag hunting in a variety of venues, most of which equate to shooting animals either raised on farms or that hang out near farms for the increased forage opportunities. That type of Stag hunting has no interest to me personally, though I know several shooters that have taken tremendous trophies hunting NZ farmland.

We are staying at an excellent lodge, where the wife can relax and enjoy herself while I hunt.

As an aside, I'm taking my son, son-in-law & father-in-law to Argentina dove/duck hunting in three weeks, and have booked an Ibex hunt in Spain and a another 21 day Safari in Tanzania for 2012.

I just crossed over to the wrong side of 50, my wife swears that I'm the only man in this area that is hunting his way through his midlife crisis. Don't have a problem with that...none at all.

Luck to everyone hunting this season.

Flatswader sends...

tophet1
.400 member

Re: Dreaming of a NZ stag hunt [Re: Flatswader]
      #187725 - 10/08/11 02:01 PM

Flatswader. Welcome to Nitro Express.

Sounds like your mid-life crisis is comeing along nicely

HendrikNZ
.275 member

Reged: 20/12/10
Loc: New Zealand
Re: Dreaming of a NZ stag hunt [Re: tophet1]
      #187731 - 10/08/11 08:21 PM

Best of luck with your staghunt, they are an awesome animal to hunt during the roar.
And a double is the ideal rifle! just make sure you oil it well, it can be pretty wet here in NZ.

These guys both offer honest free range opportunities for wild reds on the South island
http://flyfishhunt.co.nz/
and
http://www.hawea-hunting.co.nz/

a Wild NZ stag does not have 18+ points and won't score anywhere in the SCI books.
you should expect a 12pointer if you are after a true wild deer, but in saying that there is nothing wrong with a 400+ SCI.

Regards
H

Homer
.416 member

Reged: 07/04/09
Loc: Canberra, Australia
Re: Dreaming of a NZ stag hunt [Re: HendrikNZ]
      #187738 - 10/08/11 09:35 PM

G'Day Fella's,

I think New Zealand is a lot like what they say about Africa!
Your first safari plants the seed and it just keeps germinating within you, to make you want to return!!!

I have been to NZ 6 times and if I could afford it, I would buy a second home over there!
It Is, THAT GOOD!!!
It is a Hunting, Fishing (Salt & Fresh water), Bush Walking (the Kiwi's call it Tramping) and Outdoor persons Paradise!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
They speak English (well, kind of) and are a very pleasant bunch to boot!

My guided hunting has been with Peter Chamberlain, of Kiwi Wilderness Safari's also @ www.nzwildhunt.com .

I have no reservations in recommending Peter to anybody who wants to hunt any species available in NZ but especially so, if you want to hunt alpine game, like Chamois and Tahr! He is The BEST!!!
Pete's not only a good bloke but great company, to be in the bush with.

Doh!
Homer

--------------------
"Beware the Lolly Pop of Mediocrity,
Lick it Once and You Will Suck Forever"

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 10 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2136

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com